Friday, December 7, 2012

and a box with little doors...(do I really need to say it? continued)

The Advent Box and the first 4 days of fun!
So we've made it!!!! The end is in sight!! I appreciate those of you who have followed this little series of posts. For day 1, go here. Today I bring you my favorite Christmas time tradition...The Advent Box!
 
I was blessed to find this beautiful box when Lo was around six.  What is the "Advent Box" you ask? Well, it is actually called an "Advent Calendar" and it is a special calendar used to count or celebrate the days in anticipation of Christmas. The actual days of the Advent season may differ but for us it starts on December 1st, because the box starts on December 1st.
 
Now even though this box is a tradition for us, please remember what I said at the beginning of this unintentional blog series, we are not a "This is how we've always done it" kind of family.  In fact, we are a "learn and adapt as you go" kind of family. So with that said our calendar has changed many times over the years.
 
When the kids were younger, I would fill it with candy, one item for each kid (glad I only had two).  Then as they got older and seemingly more cavity prone. I switched to toys!!!! Now the doors are small and only hold those real small cheap gum ball dispenser size toys and the kids had to trade off days.  But Kenny being much older and having no need for the toys started giving them to Lo.
 
Then one year after finding all those cheap toys lying around broken, I decided to try something different, alternating between candy and gifts. By the way the toys were always Christ focused, you can get tons of little what-nots at Family Christian Bookstores.  Since the gifts were bigger that year, I ended up putting little tags in the box that would correspond with gifts placed in a basket.  That year the gifts included a Christian Christmas Music CD, DVDs from the "Love's Long Journey" series and so on. That was good year, but a little expensive...lesson learned.
 
This year I money is tighter so instead of candy and gifts I have opted for "Things to do". This has been so much fun so far! We have had cards saying "Go look for Christmas Lights" and "Christmas Coloring Books" (BTW, this is why I needed to go color on Tuesday).  And don't worry if you are saying to yourself "How am I going to come up with 24 things to do?" because I found this blog full of Advent Calendar ideas, they have pre-made printables, saving me my much needed brain power.  If you are interested in them check out http://www.thepetitcadeau.blogspot.com/2012/11/countdown-to-christmas.html or if you are one of those crafty types with plenty of brain power, you can come up with your own.
 
Now, There are two things that have always remained the same and I repeat every year. First, is that I fill the box with bible verses pertaining to Christmas and the prophecies that spoke of Jesus Christ's birth.  I was worried this year as my laptop was stolen over the summer and my backup was damaged in the burglary so I was kind of stressed about having to recompile all those verses but "praise the Lord" for Pinterest! Bet no one has ever thought of saying that ;-)  Ask or in this case, Search and you shall receive! And I found another wonderful blog complete with verse sheets...Yay for modern technology! So if you are strapped for time and figure why do extra work, check out this link http://happyhomefairy.com/2010/11/30/bible-verse-advent-cards-free-printables/ and it is also a pretty neat blog as well.
 
 In addition to the verses, we have a small painted porcelain nativity scene complete with animals, angels and wise men.  I hide these little figurines behind random doors, starting with Mary and ending with baby Jesus on Christmas. Once we find a figurine we place it in the miniature stable scene.  It is these two things that make this Advent Box my favorite. I think it is because when all is said and done, Christmas is truly about celebrating and remembering my Saviour, Jesus Christ, and what He has done for me. After all that is the reason for the season.
 
-------------------------------------------------
 
Luke 2:8-11 (NIV)
8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. May your day be filled with amazing discoveries.