Friday, November 4, 2011

From Debbie to Pollyanna

This last week has been a doozy for me and my family where our health is concerned.  Let me give you the back story. I have been nursing a back injury for the last few months that I incurred trying not to fall after I slipped.  My daughter, George, has been recovering from a gnarly case of mono (this is why friends should never share water bottles during P.E. Just because they are your friend doesn't mean they don't have cooties...but this is a completely separate 'shiny' trail that we are not going down today) and my husband has heal-something-fasciitis that causes him extreme discomfort when walking, standing, etc. 

Now that you know the back story, lets get back to this week and all its dooziness.  Monday afternoon, I forgot that I am no longer in my 20's (or 30's for that matter) and I decided to join in on an "Airband" routine.  For those of you who don't know, an airband is kind of like a live music video. Teams pick a song or songs, create a dance routine around it and then perform it in front of others.  Anyway, I was practicing super hard for I am older and don't learn things as quickly as I used to, but I practiced at work and then at home.  Then Tuesday morning arrived and I could barely move, let alone get out of bed.  Needless to say, I have spent this week at home.  My husband's feet are getting a bit better, but usually hurt worse after physical therapy. And then there is George, she was doing better recovery wise and then Wednesday hit and she went down for the count with a migraine, nausea and all the fun that comes with it.  I think it is harder on me when my family is sick because as a mom all I want to do is fix things and make them feel better. Now for the coup de grâce, last night while hunting down an ice pack, I slipped and fell on the stairs and landed on my side, bruising my back and arm, jacking up my knee and possibly breaking a toe. How's that for winning?

Then it hit me, I am so truly blessed! No, I did not hit my head! But instead of wallowing in the "what the heck is going on these days" moment, I realized that I was loved despite how crumby things were going.  Now this is actually a new thing for me, because you see I have battled with depression most of my life and I can have quite a "Debbie Downer" kind of attitude. However, lately "Debbie" seems to have moved on and instead "Pollyanna" seems to have taken up residence and even though I am not sure if this is my anti-depressant finally working or my attitude being retrained or wisdom that comes with age or a miracle healing from God or any combination of the above, but I am glad and then I remembered the following verses:

Philippians 4:4-9 4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. (emphasis added)

So I sit here this morning, rejoicing in the peace that is guarding my mind and thinking about my patient husband, my strong willed yet empathetic son, my witty and kind daughter, my home (which to many isn't much, but on a rainy day like today, it's everything), my fireplace and a cup of hot cocoa and ultimately the fact that the God of peace is with me.

May the God of peace be with you today. If you have a moment, I would love to hear what is excellent or praiseworthy in your life.  Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. May your day be filled with amazing discoveries.