Wednesday, November 2, 2011

How well do you represent?

So I was reviewing my post "'Defining Shiny'" before publishing, when I realized the similarities between ADHD & Christians.  Yes, this is a 'Shiny', run away thought, but join me as I chase this squirrel...

Exerpt from "'Defining Shiny'"
Which leads me to the 'shiny'...I am easily distracted...not because I want to be, simply because I am. Now if you have ADHD or are "focus challenged", I want you to hear this, ADHD is not an excuse for bad behavior. So don't go there! If you misbehave, you do us ADHD'ers a disservice. People automatically don't like us because they think we are naughty. So get it together! OK, now that I have that off my chest let's get back to the blog.


I am a christian. I believe that Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. I believe He died for my sins and rose again. And I believe that I am forgiven. So last week I went to church and this verse jumped out at me.

27 Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel 28 without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved—and that by God. 29 For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him, 30 since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have. - Philippians 1:27-30 (NIV)

This verse is so very 'Shiny' and speaks my heart. I am ADHD and I am a Christian. Both of these designations can have a bad rap depending on who you encounter, because of the way some of us act. I have seen many people hide behind ADHD and Christianity as an excuse for bad behavior, but I find that unacceptable.  I mean I can't tell you the number of times, I have heard someone blame their ADHD for their disruptive, rude and just outright bad behavior as if it were a license to be horrible.  The same goes for christianity!

 We need to conduct ourselves in a manner worthy... I love this! You see if you have ADHD then realize you are a representative of this 'Shiny' blessing and if you are a christian, realize you are a representative of Jesus Christ!

Think about it this way (in an effort to make some sort of sense your name is "Bob")...what if you had a group of people and they liked you and said they were your friends.  They went around saying "This is what Bob says", "This is how Bob acts", "Bob is my best friend" and "You should get to know Bob".  But then they act like utter knuckleheads.  Honestly, I would be thinking "Who is this Bob?" and "Why would I even want to get to know him, when you act like such a fool?" I mean seriously..."How can Bob be so amazing if he chooses to be friends with you?" Do you see what I mean?

I am not saying you need to be perfect, because honestly that is simply not possible.  What I am saying is Represent! I would love it if this world's view of ADHD and Christians could be changed. If people could see the uniqueness of 'Shiny' personalities and better yet, the amazing LOVE that God has for each of us, think of how amazing this world could be. I have spent most of my adult life trying to represent in a way that shows ADHD doesn't mean your disobedient and that Jesus wants no one to perish (see Matthew 18:13-14). This Life is not easy but I think we all have the opportunity to be a positive representative of what we are and what we believe. I like how Paul says "since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have". I love that Paul admits he faces the same struggles as do I.

So if you have ADHD, use this "super power" for good NOT evil. If you are a Christian...Represent in Love! If you have not had the opportunity to know the amazing love that Jesus has for you but would like to know more, I would love to hear from you.

Thank you for reading my heart and may your day be truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. May your day be filled with amazing discoveries.